Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dancing Diabetes in the Park


My first performance with Sanspointe Dance Company was out in the park at the Magic City Art Connection.  It was a beautiful warm sunny day.  The crowd was enthusiastic and all encompassing and my diabetes was quietly dancing with me.
I took a pair of pants that had a zippered pocket and cut a hole to feed the tubing for my pump.  It worked like a charm!  I ate one of my favorite Think Thin Protein Bar containing 23 grams of carbs and 20 grams of protein one hour prior to the performance.  



Can you spot 
the pump?  I give you permission to look at my butt!             
My nerves kept my blood sugar from going low so I didn't even give myself a temp basal.  I tried to appear fearless but right before we went on stage I leaned over to one of my colleagues and said "Gee, I'm actually kind of nervous for this!"  I'm glad she agreed with me!




For once, diabetes stayed quiet during the performance.  All I could hear was the live music carrying my movement and the applause of the audience. 

-Exit Stage Left




No comments:

Post a Comment